Diaper bags- no matter how much you try to run away from them- are an indispensable part of your first few years of becoming a parent. You just can’t step out of your home with a stylish tiny sling filled with bare essentials anymore! There are a gazillion things that a tiny baby needs and we need bigger and spacious bags for that.
Gone are the days when those ugly, plasticky and bulky diaper bags with cartoon prints all over were the only choice available for mothers. Why carry something like that when we now have better options in the market?!
Finding a perfect bag can be a task for an already- tired-and-zoned-out-new-mom. Hence, based on my experience, I thought to share the types of diaper bags available and how you can choose the right one for yourself.
1) Washable tote/Day bags:
A cloth tote diaper bag and day bags are great options for the first 6 months when you don’t have to carry baby food/water sipper along and all you need are a couple of diapers, wash cloths and a few outfits. It’s also a great alternative for a quick outing with your baby which will last for a couple of hours. It’s one of the most spacious bags because it usually doesn’t have stiffness and segregations to take up space and look bulky. This is also the reason why you can stuff a lot of things in it!
- They’re spacious
- Apt for BabyWearing moms
- They don’t have many pockets
- Cloth bags may not be water proof
- Short trips to the mall or markets
- First 6 months or when you don’t have to carry food or liquids that might spill
In my opinion, unless it’s rainy season, totes and day bags make a perfect choice for small shopping trips to the market or even for a casual picnic. They look pretty and are easy to carry too.
Backpacks look the trendiest of all the options. They’re classy, spacious and available in gazillion patterns to match your taste and style. The best thing about these bags is that they keep your hands free to do whatever you want.
- Stylish and spacious
- Keeps your hands free
- Equal distribution of weight on both the shoulders
- Not a great option for BabyWearing moms
- A days outing or even for a a small vacation
- For moms who don’t babywear
3. Messenger bags or Sling bags
You don’t necessarily need a bag that looks like a diaper bag, isn’t it?
In my opinion, messenger bags and slings are a good option for moms who prefer carrying their baby arms and don’t use stroller or carriers or anything. The advantage of these bags is that you can remove the items from the bag without placing the bag down and furiously hunting for things.
- Small and slim
- Looking for items and removing them is relatively easier
- Great for short trips and evening walks
- Good option for BabyWearing moms
- Very small, can’t be used to carry items for long trips
- May not be washable
- Short trips or evening strolls
4) Stroller diaper bags
As the name suggests a stroller diaper bag attaches directly to the baby’s stroller, rather than sit below the stroller in the storage compartment. These diaper bags hang from your strollers handles, allowing you to quickly and easily get your baby’s stuff.
- Easy to quickly find things when on the go
- Gives your shoulders a break from the weight carrying
- Usage is limited to times when carrying a stroller
- People who go on a walk or to the market with a stroller regularly.
5) Standard bags
What are these bags, you might be wondering. Well, standard bags are the usual multi-pocketed diaper bags which are huge and can pretty much fit all the essentials you need. Though you’ll find a myriad of options online, there’re a two brands I’d highly recommend- they’re Bohomia and Skip Hop. They make classy looking, good quality and sturdy bags. You’ll find these two on amazon India and other online portals too.
- Segregations and pockets to fit in all essentials
- Look great and are sturdy too
- Too huge and bulky
- May not the be the best option for small trips
Great option for:
- Long trips and vacation
- Times when you’re carrying too many things
6) Designer diaper bags
Who said diaper bags are always boring?Previously, becoming a mother meant that you would have to give up your Gucci or Louis Vuitton handbag. This is no longer a problem since these brands have also started designing diaper bags. So now you can carry all that your baby needs without losing your fashion statement!
Image: Gucci Diaper Bag
Hope this was helpful. Thanks for stopping by and reading.