My little girls first birthday was dreamt of and conceptualized long before she was even born. Every time I attended a child’s birthday as a young girl, I visualized my child’s birthday. I never wanted it to be a fancy affair, I just wanted every little element of her party to be special, just like her.
When I shared a few pictures from her party on Instagram, I received several requests from fellow moms to share the details of our setup. So, here we go!
Firstly, I’d like to share a few tips that you can keep mind before deciding on the theme and colour palette for her party:
1. Pick a theme which is evergreen. Especially for their first birthdays because they have no liking or choice at that age. Sometimes, people choose cartoon characters or era-specific themes which may not live until the child grows up. If we choose cartoon characters of this generation, chances are he won’t feel connected to the photos when once he begins to understand things on growing up. I chose ‘twinkle twinkle little star’, because well, stars are sure to last until her adulthood 😅 Or at least we can hope so! Considering the pollution these days and its impacts these days, you really can’t tell. 🙈
2. Choose a white background with bright poppy or pastel colours which stand out. This will not just make the whole place lovely but also look great in the photos. We chose pastels and gold, because you can never go wrong with that combination 💗
3. If planning at home, choose your window curtains as your backdrop. It takes much less effort in decorating and if planned well, saves space too.
Here are the all the details (even the minutest ones 🙈) of our setup:
1. I purchased white-gold jacquard curtains which were opaque enough to function as our backdrop. (It’s wiser this way because once the party is over, you won’t have to throw away your backdrop but can use the curtains for regular use too)
2. Since the length of our window was 5ft, I purchased 3 sets of broad ribbons in pastel and gold, each measuring 10ft and hung them at equal distances. For that, I simply cut them in the desired length and tied at knot at the bar that held the curtains. Easy peasy!
3. I also hung 2 glitter star-strings that I purchased from a local party shop and used them in the similar way too. You can DIY these strings too- I realised that later 🙈
4. Below our window, we have a few storage shelves. I purchased 6 helium balloons, in pink, blue and white from a local party shop and tied them on the knob of those shelves. Along with those balloons, I had 2 star shaped foil balloons (filled with helium too) which I’d purchased from AliExpress- I tied them on either sides along with the other balloons to complete the look.
5. We got custom-made bunting which read- “happy birthday (name)” in the same theme from Joy Factory (www.thejoyfactory.in) to embellish our beautiful backdrop.
I wanted little but special elements on each corner of my house and here’s what we did:
1. The wall on the left of the cake table had a frame which had her birth statistics and other details from that day.
2. The other wall on the left had a photo bunting with 12 photos- one from birth to 11 months each. We used a jute twine, 12 wooden clips, her snaps that we got made from The Snap Store (costed us just ₹40 or so including delivery!) and a number 1 foil balloon which was also purchased from a local party shop. Setting this wall was simple and without a doubt, it was the star of the show. And oh yes, I also purchased pink felt paper and cut out numbers to attach under each photo to match our theme 🌟
3. The wall above our food table had posters with motivational quotes for my girl. This was an impromptu addition but it definitely worked well with the whole concept.
4. Last and the final wall- which was also the one on the right of the cake table was the ‘wall of wishes’. I purchased some gift wrapping papers and made a few envelopes out of it. I then stuck them all on a wall so that the attendees could write letters for my daughter- something she’ll grow up and read and cherish all her life!
1. We got a ‘ Twinkle twinkle little star’ themed cake with Dutch chocolate filling for her. To make it even more stunning, we got a cake topper in a brilliant golden colour from ‘The Joy Factory Shop’
2. We also got a few cupcakes and placed them on a personalised wooden tray. We embellished them with cupcake toppers (again from Joy Factory) and boy! They looked lovely!
3. We also had the return favours for the kids attending and a few props for photographs placed on the table, so that the access is easier.
4. We got a monogram of her initials from the same party shop and placed it on the side of the cake.
5. The Joy Factory Shop designed a beautiful chalkboard with all her current statistics and progress updates in the required theme. We got it framed and placed it on the table! What a stunner it was 😍
4. To decorate the table, I stuck PVC paper on the table top and attached a white satin cloth on its edges to let it flow. On it, I stuck a foil tassel bunting that I purchased from AliExpress in the colour pink, white and gold.
That’s it! I was so happy with how it all came together and how beautiful the photos turned out!
I hope you found this article helpful!
Thanks for stopping by!
Happy parenting 😊
For kids, return gifts are the most exciting part of attending parties! Yes, they love cake and balloons too, but going back home with a bag of goodies is a even more fun!
Hence, make sure that amidst all the birthday prep madness, take out some time and hunt for good return gifts for your little attendees.
To help you with this task, I’ve jotted down a few pointers which you can keep in mind while picking up return gifts for your child’s party.
Even if your budget is tight, make sure to give some meaningful and useful item. I’ve seen people give customised badges and tiny wallets for small kids, which is great but in my opinion, is not a very meaningful option, especially for toddlers and small kids. Choose gifts that add value to their life or have some usefulness.
Considering the fact that kids tend to throw and not handle things very delicately, it’s vital to get gifts that are sturdy and well made. Also, it’s best to give something that they’ll use of a long time.
3. Age specificity
Gifts can be of various types- those bought in bulk or those customised. But nothing beats getting something age specific for each child. A tiny toddler may not benefit from a keychain and a preschooler may not benefit from stacking rings. It’s okay if each gift is different from the other as long as it’s specifically for that child. That way, children will derive more use out of the gifts too.
4. Child-friendliness of the material used
Most plastic toys are made of petroleum and contain BPA, which is neither safe for the baby nor ego-friendly. Made sure to purchase toys that are BPA free or made with natural material like wood or rubber.
5. What will the child learn or derive from the gift?
Essentially, we gift toys to kids so that they can both enjoy and learn, right? Because, everything they do can be tweaked in such a way that it becomes an activity they can learn from!
Before you buy anything for the kids, ask yourself- what will the child learn from the gift you’re giving? Most kids have enough squeaky toys or random pieces which don’t add any value or learning to their lives. Try not to add to the clutter and give something for meaningful instead!
I’ve written an article on return gift ideas where I’ve jotted 10 useful and meaningful return gifts for all age groups and budgets. Make sure to check that article here.
One of the most renowned brands in this segment is Skola Toys. They’re known for their high quality and age appropriate learning toys for kids. Their stuff is made from natural wood with utmost care.
Skola Toys have come up with a line of products especially curated to serve as return gifts. What’s more, they’ve some amazing coupons and discounts on every purchase. Go check their website now!
Thanks for stopping by and reading!
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post
With my little one’s first birthday just around the corner, I thought I’ll write a series of posts on ‘First Birthday Preparations’ based on my personal experience. I’ll be writing on how to plan in such a way that everything is simple, easy and meaningful. So keep an eye on my blog page!
In fact, I’ve already started the series with this first post- i.e. Meaningful Return gifts!
Kids love gifts. In fact, I still love receiving them :p But let’s face it, hunting for good return gifts can be a painstaking task especially when you’re planning your child’s birthday too.
The fact that most parents settle for water bottles, lunch boxes etc., proves their exhaustion. Hence I’ve complied a list of meaningful gifts for you so that your daunting task becomes easier!
I’m sharing 10 return gift ideas which are so appropriate and useful that the kids will thank you for your choice! 🙂
1. Piggy Bank
Giving a piggy bank will not just help them learn the value of money but also encourage them to save some and buy things of their choice.
Price: You’ll find them in a variety of designs and shapes starting from ₹150/- or even lesser.
Here’s the amazon link of one such piggy bank for your reference.
2. Learning Toys
Toys play a cardinal role in both physical and mental development of children. So why not give them good wooden learning toys and send them back home not just with a huge smile but an opportunity to learn something new?
Fisher Price, Skola, Brainsmith etc. have some great options in this segment.
Price: ₹325/- onwards
3. Play doh
Play doh and clay helps in making their motor skills stronger and their eye-hand coordination better. It’s loved by both young and older kids and hence is a great option if you have a mix of kids of all age groups.
Price: Staring from ₹125/-
Here’s the link of one such kit for your reference.
Using chalkboard not only saves paper and money but also helps a lot in building their fine motor skills. Though they look old school but these days you get a variety of them in different shapes and even personalisations.
Price: ₹100/- or even less
Here’s a link of one such store which makes chalkboards for return gifts and otherwise too.
5. Indoor Plant
Teach kids to grow a plant early on not only gets them fascinated but also makes them love and value the food they eat and plants they see.
Here’s a link for one such indoor plant service in India.
6. Colouring Book
Art captures the imagination of kids and sparks their creativity. You can get simple colouring books with organic colours for little kids and mandala books for older ones.
Price: Starting from ₹149/-
Here’s the link of one such book for your reference.
7. Height Chart Wall Decal
Or any decal, actually.
I’m a sucker for cute things and wall decals are my favorite! They easily spice up any corner of the room and make it lively.
Price: 169/- onwards
Here’s the link of one such cute height chart wall decal for you!
8. Slime Kit
Playing with slime is very beneficial in building their sensory skills! Not only kids love it but adults find it stress relieving too!
Price: ₹130/- onwards
Here’s the link of one such slime set for your reference.
There’s no gift like a book. Need I say more? You can give any classical bedtime book to younger kids and engaging activity books to older ones.
Price: ₹100/- and above
10. Skipping Rope/ Frisbee/ Cricket Bat/ Badminton Kit
Basically anything that encourages them to step out and play. Kids these days are glued to gadgets and there’s nothing better than gifting them the joy of outdoor play!
I hope you found this article helpful.
Share with your friends so that they can benefit from it too.
Thanks for stopping by and reading.